Photo by Khajuaan R. Walker, 2013
"I have always been curious about the lives of others. Interviewing people and hearing extraordinary stories for the six years working at Malaysiakini from 2006-2012 fueled my interest in people around me. From “Illegal” temple demolitions that created an uproar among Tamils in Malaysia, to the investigative documentary that shook Malaysia as it focused on a slavery case in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan, to a family that escaped after being bonded laborers for three generations, these stories convinced me of the importance of everyday lives. Being able to tell stories of workers rights, the plight of the urban poor, land evictions, poverty, stateless citizens, death-in-custody, gender and sexuality, these are all ongoing themes that have become a part of me as a filmmaker, stories that have influenced me profoundly. Giving a voice to the ‘voiceless’ has become a mission as I continue to grow as a filmmaker." - IK
Filmography & FILM FESTIVALS
- 2018 Incarcerated Rhythm (Feature Documentary) Director/Producer/Editor
Festival 2018, New York
*Official Selection of the 32nd Annual Edmonton International Film Festival 2018, Canada
*Official selection of the Bucharest Film Awards 2018, Romania
*Official Selection of the Portland Film Festival 2018, USA
*Semi-finalist at the Courage Film Festival 2018
*Winner, Award of Merit, The Accolade Global Film Competition (MAY 2018)
- 2017: Teacher, The Tradition Bearer (Long Form Short Documentary) 48min Malaysia, Director/Editor
- 2017: The Garden (Film-Poem) 4min/USA/2017 - Co-Director/Editor
- 2017: An Artist in Search (Short) Director/Editor, 11 min, Bahamas
- 2016: Before the Trees Was Strange (Feature Documentary) Editor ,85 min/Bahamas/USA/2016
*Premiered at the 13th Bahamas International Film Festival (BIFF) 2016
*Official Selection of 12th Annual Harlem International Film Festival 2017
*Official Selection of Flathead Lake International Cinemafest 2017
*Official Selection of San Diego Black Film Festival 2017
*Official Selection of the 12th Annual CaribbeanTales International Film Festival 2017 in Toronto, Canada
- 2015: The Journal (Short Film) Co-Director/Editor 6 min/USA/2015
*Official Selection of Diamond in the rough cut Film Festival 2015
- 2015: Allons-y (Short Film) Co-Director/Editor, 4 min/France/2015
- 2014: The Game Changer (Short Documentary) Director/Editor, 15 min/USA/2014
Official selection in:
1. The Portland Film Festival 2014
2. The 2nd Annual Northeast Film Festival (NEFF) 2014
"BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY AWARD"
3. Harlem International Film Festival 2014
"BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY AWARD"
4. Sun and Sand, the Mississippi Film and Music Festival 2015
5. NewFilmmakers New York Fall Series 2014
6. The 15th Annual Woodstock Film Festival 2014
7. The Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival 2014
8. The 23rd Annual Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival 2014
9. 2014 Mosaic Film Experience (Festival)
10. Red Hook “Harvest Shorts” Film Festival 2014
11. Peace on Earth Film Festival 2015
12. “We Speak Here” Culture Unplugged 2014
13. The American Pavilion’s Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes Film Festival 2015 - "BEST STUDENT DOCUMENTARY AWARD"
14. Cannes Court Métrage 2015
15. Wonder of Women (WOW) Film Festival 2015
16. Windrider International Student Film Festival (WISFF) 2016
“FINALIST FOR DOCUMENTARY”
17. The 8th Annual The Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival (KKIFF) 2016
- 2013: Unafraid of The Shadows (Short Documentary) Director/Shooter/Editor, 7 min/USA/2013
- 2012: Living Jazz with Bill Saxton (Short Documentary) Director/Shooter/Editor, 10-min/USA/2012
*Official Selection in 10th Annual Langston Hughes African American Film Festival 2013, Seattle, WA.
*Official Selection in 9th Annual Harlem International Film Festival 2014, New York.
- 2011: Video: The people's voice (Short Documentary) Director/Shooter/Editor, 15 min/Malaysia/2011
- 2010: Oily Hair (Short Documentary) Co-Director/Shooter/Co-Editor, 7-min/USA/2010
*Screened at the National Press Club in Washington DC.
*Official Selection of the Culture unplugged Online Film Festival
*Official Selection of the Freedom Film Festival Malaysia 2011
- 2010: I Only Dance For You (Short Documentary) Director/Co-Editor, 10-min/USA/2010
*Official Selection of the 4th Outrate Online Short Film Festival 2010 (OOSFF10)
*Showcased at OUTtv’s Hot Pink Shorts 2010, Canada.
- 2007: She's My Son (Short Documentary) Director/Editor, 15-min/Malaysia/2007
*Freedom Film Festival 2007 / Justin Louis Award Winner
Honors & Awards
- 2018 Mira Nair Award for Rising Female Filmmaker for "Incarcerated Rhythm"
- 2016 AGNI Youth Icon Award.
- 2015 Kalai Payanam Award, Certificate for International Achievement.
- 2015 Great Women Of Our Time Award for "Arts & Media" by The Malaysian Women's Weekly Magazine.
- 2015 Best Student Documentary Award at The American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase Presented by American Express at Cannes, France.
- 2014 Bustle's Annual Upstart Award.
- 2014 Best Short Documentary at 9th Annual Harlem International Film Festival, New York.
- 2012-2014 Fulbright Malaysian Graduate Study And Research Scholarship Award.
- 2010 George Washington University 2010 International Emerging Documentary Filmmakers Fellowship.
- 2008 Most Outstanding Asian Youth Ambassador (AYA) Award, Runner up.
- 2007 Justin Louis Award in Freedom Film Festival, Film 'She's My Son'.
film festival jury
- 2019 Pesta Filem Kita
- 2018 Freedom Film Festival
- 2018 Malaysian Indian Wedding Photography and Videography (MIWPV) Competition
- 2018 New Hope for Malaysia Video Contest
- 2018 IACT Student Film Festival
- 2017 Pesta Filem Kita
- 2016 Freedom Film Festival
- 2016 Agni Film Award
- 6th iLEAD Conference 2018, Taylor’s University, Malaysia (2018)
- Women:Girls - The Young Changemakers Summit (2016)
- AGNI Filmmaking Camp in Malaysia (2016)
- PEO Convention in Albany, New York (2015)
- Curtin University, UCSI University, Monash University, Sunway University (2006-2012)
Indrani Kopal: A Case Study of Video Journalism as Gendered Leadership.
by Dr Roslina Abdul Latif & Badrul Redzuan Abu Hassan
|Indrani Kopal: A Case Study of Video Journalism as Women Leadership _7oct2013.pdf|
|File Size:||251 kb|
Latif, R. A., & Hassan, B. R. A. (2013). Indrani Kopal: A case study of video journalism as gendered leadership. SEARCH (Malaysia), 5(2), 19-35.